Spicy British Tomato, Chickpea and Avocado Salad
This lively, colourful British tomato salad is full of good things and great flavours.
- 100g bulgur wheat
- 2tsp vegetable stock powder (or ½ vegetable stock cube)
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 200g British cherry or baby plum tomatoes, halved
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 80g bag spinach, rocket and watercress salad
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 2tbsp mixed seeds
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 2tbsp lemon juice
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
- Pinch of salt, pepper and sugar
- Cook the bulgur wheat according to pack instructions, flavouring the cooking water with the vegetable stock powder or cube.
- Meanwhile, mix together the chickpeas, tomatoes, avocados and pepper. Rinse the cooked bulgur wheat with cold water and drain well. Add to the tomato mixture and season.
- Share the salad leaves between 4 serving plates and top with the tomato mixture. Toast the cumin seeds and mixed seeds in a dry frying pan until lightly browned. Sprinkle over the salads.
- For the dressing, mix together the olive oil, lemon juice and mustard. Season with a pinch of salt, pepper and sugar. Sprinkle over the salads and serve.